Sunday, January 13, 2008

letter to my cousin

Dear Chelsea,

How are you doing? So you asked about what I’m doing, I am still at Utah State. I recently changed my major to public relations. I’ve heard PR described as business without the math.

Some people compare it to advertising, but instead of selling a product someone working in PR works to sell a company, brand name or individual. One of the main ways that PR groups do this is by writing press releases and sending them out to various news organizations. The news organizations use the releases to write stories.

In addition to generating good press, PR professionals do have to deal with the occasional crisis. In the 1980’s someone tampered with bottles of Tylenol and as a result seven people died. Rather than trying to cover it up the company used brilliant public relations. They were completely honest about the tragedy and pulled all of the bottles off the shelves, when they returned the product they put them in new tamper-evident bottles. Because of their honesty and genuine concern for the consumers, Tylenol remains a very popular product.

I am really excited to pursue a career in public relations. I think it will be a very rewarding job that will allow me to use more than my writing skills. I hope all is well for you. Good luck in pursuing your nursing degree.

Sincerely,

Kate

2 comments:

Jeffrey Wright said...

Kate,

I really liked the example you shared in your letter about tylenol and how they used PR to over come the event that happened to there company. I think that doing this was a great way to show your cousin how PR is used and can be a benefit to companies.

Alyssa Lowry said...

Katie,

I think you did an excellent job on explaining what a public relations professional does. It was very clear and to the point. Great job!